Sunday 10 January 2016

Layering colour - pencils

Happy Sunday everyone. 

Lots of you have been messaging asking me to discuss layering techniques for when using coloured pencils. 

The pencils I have been using for my latest Magical Forest drawing are: Prisma Colours. Beautiful vibrant soft pencils that blend like a dream. 

I like to try to use as little colours as possible, so the colours don't get too muddy or muddy at all. Once I've decided on the colour tones I'm going for, in this instance, cool tones. Blues purples, greens. I then select around 7 or 8. Light, mid and dark tones I like within that range. It's quite handy with these large professional sets of pencils, as the tones are all together and nicely organised :-D


I start by shading very, very lightly to set the base first layer colours:



As you can see on the left, this area is pretty much done and on the right, it looks rough and kinda primitive! The tricky is to keep layering up colour and blending. In this drawing I used lighter pencils to blend the colours together. This is one trick to blending, that I like to use, I'll share other blending techniques in future posts.

You have to be really patient and go slow, this is how you get the colours shining through and the level of details you want.

Coloured pencils are my favourite medium to use, I love the control I have over them when creating the details and colours.

There are so many techniques and you'll discover things you like and don't like. 

I have some other tricks and tips I'll share coming up in future posts.

For now, happy drawing! ✨✏️💪

No comments:

Post a Comment